Serving alcohol at Lynn University sponsored events
The purpose of this Policy is to establish policies, procedures, and guidelines for the service of Alcohol at a Lynn University facility or facilities.
If alcohol is to be served at a Lynn University sponsored and approved event, approval must be obtained one month in advance. Requests for approval to serve alcohol at a Lynn University sponsored event less than one month in advance will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Student organization must obtain written approval from the Vice President for Student Affairs. All other events where alcohol is to be served must be approved in writing by the Vice President for Administration and/or the General Counsel for the University.
All guidelines and regulations contained in the University’s Alcohol and Other Drugs policy must be strictly observed. Any student organization seeking to serve alcohol at an event must complete a registration form and designate a staff or faculty sponsor for the event. The staff or faculty sponsors assumes the responsibility of adhering to Lynn University guidelines and state law, and insuring that appropriate behavior is maintained at all times.
Alcohol or Alcoholic Beverages-any alcoholic liquor, wine, cereal malt beverages, or beer.
Alcoholic Liquor-any wine, whiskey, gin, vodka, or any other intoxicating liquor.
Cereal Malt Beverage-any beverage having more than 3.2% alcohol by weight produced by fermentation and not by distillation.
Beer-any beverage having more than 3.2% alcohol by weight produced by fermentation.
The following guidelines will be observed for all approved events serving alcohol:
1. For on-campus events, alcoholic beverages are to be consumed only in the designated room(s) approved for the event;
2. Proof of legal drinking age will be required;
3. Individuals are not permitted to bring their own alcoholic beverages to an on-campus event;
4. Lynn University encourages low risk use of alcohol. No person will be served alcohol if they are already visibly intoxicated;
5. Drinking games will not be allowed;
6. No person may purchase or obtain alcohol for another person unless the person is present at the time of service, regardless of whether they are of legal drinking age;
7. Soft drinks and food are made available for the duration of any activity where alcoholic beverages are served; and
8. Lynn University will discourage the inappropriate use of alcohol by any member of its community.
To learn more about this policy or the supporting procedures, please contact General Counsel.
Policy updated on: Oct. 24, 2018