Public and SACSCOC Related Complaints
The purpose of this Policy is to delineate how the University will address “Program Integrity Rule,” complaints directed to the University, as well inform individuals who believe that the Lynn University is in significant non-compliance with a Southern Association of College and Schools (“SACSCOC”) requirement or standard may file a complaint with the Commission.
In compliance with Department of Education Regulation 34 CFR 600.9, the “Program Integrity Rule,” it is the policy of Lynn University to ensure that individuals have the opportunity to voice concerns relating to Federal Financial Aid programs offered by Lynn University. The regulations require the opportunity for individuals to lodge the following types of complaints:
- Allegations of state consumer protection violations, including, but not limited to fraud and false advertising;
- Allegations that state laws or rules addressing the licensure of postsecondary institutions have been violated;
- Allegations regarding the quality of education or other accreditation requirements.
In compliance with Federal Program Integrity Rule, the University provides multiple alternatives for individuals who wish to submit complaints regarding the above. The University expects that any complaint will initially be filed with the University in accordance with the procedures set forth in the Procedures/Guideline section of this Policy before resolution is sought from a state agency or the University’s accreditation body. In the absence of a procedure, a complaint may be filed with the office of the President for appropriate referral.
I. Complaint Procedures
Public complaints directed to Lynn University should follow the procedures outlined below. Lynn University students and employees desiring to file complaints must follow the University’s various Grievance Procedures as outlined in the appropriate university policies.
A. Informal Complaints
Informal (verbal) complaints by members of the public shall be submitted to the Vice President supervising the area. If through this process a mutually satisfactory resolution of the complaint cannot be reached, the complainant may pursue the formal complaint resolution process outlined below.
B. Formal Complaints
- Formal written complaints by members of the public are to be submitted to and addressed by the responsible vice president supervising the area at issue.
- The Vice President addressing the complaint is to gather information relevant to the complaint.
- A written response is to be sent to the complainant. A copy of the complaint and the written response is to be sent to the President.
- If the complainant is not satisfied with the response, he/she may file a written complaint to the President. In such cases, the President will gather information and provide a final written response to the complainant.
- The file of all formal complaints is to be securely housed and maintained in accordance with the University’s Record Retention policy.
II. Complaint to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Individuals who believe that the Lynn University is in significant non-compliance with a Southern Association of College and Schools (“SACSCOC”) requirement or standard may file a complaint with the Commission. (See “Complaint Procedures against the Commission or its Accredited Institutions” at sacscoc.org).
For more information regarding this policy, please contact Academic Affairs.
Policy updated on: Oct. 24, 2018