I. Staff Selection
A. Approval to Hire
- When a staff vacancy occurs, a new staff position is proposed, or temporary help is needed, the hiring manager shall meet with the appropriate area Vice President and the Vice President for Business and Finance to determine the overall need of the institution and obtain authorization to proceed with a formal search.
- The appropriate area Vice President must approve all searches for full, part-time or temporary employees.
- Upon confirmation from the appropriate area Vice President that a staff vacancy may be filled or created, the hiring manager will send an updated job description to Employee Services.
- Based upon a review of the new job description, Employee Services will draft and post a job announcement in accordance with the University’s Advertising and Posting Vacancies Policy.
B. Advertising and Posting Vacancies
Posting: All staff positions will be posted on the University’s website or by some other method used by Employee Services. Exceptions to the job-posting requirement may include situations such as reclassifications due to change in duties, reorganizations, or a reassignment to accommodate an individual with disabilities pursuant to the American with Disabilities Act. Employee Services reviews and approves any exceptions.
Advertising: Positions may be advertised in a variety of channels as deemed appropriate by the office of Employee Services. Once the Vice President for Business and Finance has approved the position, Employee Services will initiate the search.
Lynn University relies upon the accuracy of information contained in the employment application, as well as the accuracy of other data presented throughout the hiring process and employment. Any misrepresentations, falsifications, or material omissions in any of this information or data may result in the exclusion of the individual from further consideration for employment or, if the person has been hired, termination of employment.
D. Candidate Evaluation and Selection
To ensure a fair and consistent process, applicants will undergo several screening steps, which may include interviews, background, and reference checks. These steps are coordinated through the office of Employee Services. At the discretion of the University, a Search Committee or outside consultant may be utilized to assist with the search.
- All applications are received by Employee Services. Employee Services will screen all applications to insure that each candidate meets the criteria for the job based on the job description. Applications will then be forwarded to the Search Committee Chair or hiring supervisor as applicable.
- The Search Committee or the hiring supervisor as applicable will review and evaluate applications based upon the requirements of the position and select the most qualified applicants to be invited for an interview. Candidates will be selected based on their potential to contribute to the mission of the University and must possess the appropriate skills, education, training, and experience to satisfy the essential requirements of the position.
- Employee Services will conduct a pre-screen candidate and arrange interviews with the Search Committee or the hiring supervisor as applicable.
- The Search Committee or the hiring supervisor will interview selected qualified candidates. For certain positions, additional interviews may be conducted. During the interview process, the candidate will be notified that any job offer is contingent upon successful completion of background screen. Moreover, notice of the availability of the Lynn University annual security report will be provided to the interviewee if the position was advertised.
- Following interviews, a preferred candidate will be identified. The decision to extend an offer to an applicant for a position is made by the area Vice President on the recommendation of the hiring supervisor or search committee.
- After the preferred candidate has been identified, Employee Services will perform applicable background checks and the hiring supervisor will conduct reference checks before offering the preferred candidate the position.
- Employee Services will prepare the offer letter, in consultation with the Vice President for Business and Finance, the hiring supervisor, and the area Vice President.
- Employee Services contacts all interviewed candidates who were not selected, to notify them that the position was filled.
Based upon unusual circumstances and demonstrated departmental need, exceptions can be made to the University’s Staff Selection policies and procedures. Such exceptions shall be made through the office of Employee Services.
II. Faculty Selection and Appointment
Lynn University employs faculty members qualified to accomplish the mission and goals of the institution. Policies and procedures with regard to the evaluation, selection, and appointment of competent faculty applicants are outlined in the Faculty Recruitment and Employment Policy.
To learn more about this policy or the supporting procedures, please contact Employee Services.
Policy updated on: Oct. 24, 2018