Lynn University celebrates half a century of rich history
Published Feb. 26, 2013
Lynn University continues the celebration of its 50th anniversary year (2012-2013); a year that turned out to be one of the most eventful to date as it was kicked off with a history making event, the third and final presidential debate on its campus.
Lynn has come a long way from its start as an all-women's college in 1962, issuing two-year degrees with only four buildings amid the bean fields of Boca Raton to an internationally renowned university.
“We may be only 50 years young,” says Lynn President Kevin M. Ross,” but we have had a rich history and we have a promising future.”
With three names along the way – Marymount College (1962), College of Boca Raton (l974) and Lynn University (1991) – Lynn has continued to grow, vastly expanding its campus and improving its profile.
Lynn’s archivist, Kathleen Clunan, has seen the changes firsthand. She was one of the nuns who was library director when Lynn first opened its doors as Marymount College.
“I feel so honored to be at Lynn for this length of time. Just to watch it evolve from a small two-year college for women into this splendid university has truly been a blessing,” says Clunan. “To watch new buildings go up and see how the campus has matured so beautifully is unbelievable. And with all this expansion and growth it has never lost it's warm, family feeling.”
50th Weekend events:
From Thursday, March 21 to Sunday, March 24, Lynn plans to remember the past and welcome the future with a weekend filled with a variety of events on campus that will bring out nostalgia, school spirit, pride and camaraderie.
Blue & White Auction
- An annual tradition: On Thursday, March 21 at 7:30 p.m., Lynn will host the Blue & White Auction, an exciting night of silent and live auction items, including sports memorabilia, spa packages, vacations, golf foursomes with proceeds to benefit Lynn’s student-athletes and programs.
International Business Center Groundbreaking
- A nod to the future: On Friday, March 22 at 11 a.m., Lynn will break ground on the new International Business Center, a $12 million world-class structure to house the College of Business and Management.
Exclusive Celebration Concert
- Passion Pit: Live in Concert headlines Lynn’s 50th Anniversary Weekend Celebration on Saturday, March 23 at 8 p.m., on the soccer field.
- The weekend will include a generous dose of Fighting Knights’ school spirit: Lynn is proud of its athletics programs winning 20 national championships and 29 Sunshine State titles over the course of their history. There will be softball, baseball and tennis home games as well as soccer and tennis alumni matches.
Lynn-only 50th Weekend events:
The 50th anniversary is a chance for the entire Lynn community - students, staff, faculty, alumni and parents - to come together (the 50th weekend takes the place of Alumni Weekend and Parents and Families Weekend this year). Events exclusive to the Lynn community include:
- A Special Anniversary Reception on Friday, March 23, will cater to all taste buds, tastes in music and even those with a taste for nostalgia (a 50th anniversary video will be premiered).
Coffee with the President
- An ode to a mega event Lynn won’t soon forget, the third and final presidential debate: at Coffee with the President (and deans and faculty) on Saturday, March 24, Lynn will present its perspective of this historical occasion through the premiere of the trailer to a documentary telling the story of Lynn’s role in the debate and with the opening of an exhibit of memorabilia and artifacts to include: a replica of the set President Obama used during his debate practice sessions, the six coins tossed to determine the order of the candidates in a variety of areas, cartoons Chan Lowe inked on the subject of the debate, a slideshow of hundreds of photos from the day, and more.
Picnic by the Pool
- Picnic by the Pool on Saturday, March 24, will provide the opportunity to relax, soak up the sun and take a dip to the backdrop of a live band at one of Lynn’s Olympic-sized pools.