The John Oliveira String Competition will be held annually for all string players studying exclusively at Lynn University Conservatory of Music.
The winner will receive a cash prize, a recital with piano in the Amarnick-Goldstein Concert Hall and will perform additional concerts at local communities as well as Outreach Concerts.
The collaborative pianist will also receive a cash prize.
There are three clearly defined rounds in the competition: preliminary, semifinals and finals.
- Competitors will be chosen from a preliminary round of YouTube submissions which will include required repertoire, plus repertoire of the contestant’s choice. Total playing time of the video shall not exceed one hour. Online YouTube submissions must be submitted no later than Friday, Dec. 8, 2017.
- Semifinalists will be announced at the beginning of J-Term, no later than Friday, Jan. 5, 2018. Semifinalists will have one week to submit their recital program, which will be due on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the competition.
- Judges will choose a maximum of eight semifinalists to take part in the semifinal round of the competition. All sonatas and contemporary works (1980 to the present) may be played from music. Short pieces and virtuoso pieces must be played from memory. The competitors will perform before a jury of three and will be prepared to play one movement from each piece, plus the virtuoso piece at the discretion of the judges.
- After the conclusion of the semi-final round, a maximum of four contestants will be announced to proceed to the final round.
- The judges will choose the repertoire to be played. The winner will be announced following the final round.
- The winner will receive a $1,000 cash prize and a recital with a piano in the Amarnick-Goldstein Concert Hall. The collaborative pianist will receive a $500 cash prize. The winner will perform at local communities and outreach concerts.
See all eligibility requirements and repertoire information at john-oliveira.com.
Are you a competitor? Apply now.
Coming to the event?
The semifinal round will take place Friday, March 23, 2018. The final round will take place Saturday, March 24, 2018, 7:30–9:30 p.m.
The winner, with their collaborative pianist, will perform in recital before April, 29. This is a free event and open to the public.
RSVP for the finals now.
Additional concerts will be announced no later than J-Term.