Graduate students who wish to take courses for the purposes of continuing education, teacher certification or transfer of credits to another institution may register as special students. Special students are classified as non-degree seeking students and must show evidence of graduation from an accredited college or university in order to be eligible for this classification and take graduate courses at Lynn University. Special students must complete a special student form available in the Office of Admission and may be limited to six credit hours, except under the following circumstances:

  • Educators seeking ESOL certification or taking courses for certification or recertification purposes are limited to 15 credit hours (five three-credit courses).

Those interested in enrolling as non-degree seeking students should contact the Office of Admission for a special student form and registration materials. Term schedules of classes are available on the university’s website.

Financial aid is not available to special students. Because of immigration regulations, a foreign student with either an F-1 or J-1 Visa may not register as a Special Student and must be degree seeking. Students who would like to change their status to degree seeking must complete a graduate application, provide all necessary documentation, including entrance testing if appropriate, and meet all admission requirements. Enrollment as a special student in no way implies a right for future admission to the university or a graduate program.

Credit earned as a special student does not automatically count as fulfilling graduate degree requirements unless approved by the program coordinator or dean of the appropriate college. All such proposed courses must have a grade of B or better and meet specific course requirements for the degree. This determination is made after the applicant has been accepted to the university or by the end of his or her first term as a matriculating student.