Khalique Ahmed teaches chemistry and physics courses, and carries out research at the interface of the basic and biological sciences. In his research, Ahmed applies spectroscopy techniques in combination with other commonly used chemical physics techniques to study the behavior of matter. His recent research is focused on the study of low carbon footprint blended fuels, properties of hydrogen bonded alcohol mixtures, role of science demonstrations in the improvement of science literacy and the molecular basis of the health & disease, and the cognitive processes. Ahmed serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Spectroscopy and serves as a regular referee for Spectroscopy Letters. Ahmed’s commentaries on the scientific issues of the public interest often appear in the electronic and print media. Most recently his Op-Ed articles have been published by the Miami Herald, Palm Beach Post and Sunsentinel.
- B.S., University of the Punjab
- M.S., Physics, Quaid-i-Azam University
- M.S., Chemistry, Quaid-i-Azam University
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Manitoba
The main principles of Khalique Ahmed's teaching philosophy are belief in the intrinsic learning abilities of the students, service as a role model to the students, engagement of students in active learning, challenging students to optimize the learning process, keeping current in the areas of expertise, meaningful use of technology, willingness to modify the teaching style for improvement, practice of values of fairness and respect and willingness to go to an extra mile for the sake of students’ learning.
- General chemistry and physics
- Organic, inorganic, physical, and analytical chemistry
- Scientific literacy
Areas of Scholarship and Professional Practice
- Spectroscopy theory and practice
- Green fuels, bio pesticides,
- Hydrogen bonding interactions
- Sustainable development
- Biomedical and nutraceutical chemistry
- Harvard University Sabbatical Visiting Professor, Fall 2013
- Brigham Women’s Hospital, Sabbatical Visiting Scientist, Fall 2013
- Chief Marshall, Lynn University Commencement, May 2013
- Member Scientific Advisory Board BIT’s 2nd Annual World Congress of Agriculture, China, 2012.
- Member Scientific Advisory Board BIT’s 3rd Annual World Congress of Agriculture, China, 2013.
- Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year, Lynn University, 2009
- American Chemical Society (South Florida), Best Research Poster Award, 2009
- Literati Club Award of Excellence 2000 for outstanding paper in the area of lung cancer.
- Award of excellence for teaching assistants, 1983, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada.