Lynn University will launch a student success tool this spring. The platform, called Navigate, includes a mobile app for students to explore majors, navigate requirements from financial aid to course registration, and stay on top of important dates and deadlines. To build it, Lynn partnered with EAB, a company that offers peer-tested strategies and technologies for higher education institutions.
The idea stemmed from a design thinking process that challenged 40 campus leaders to identify ways to elevate the student experience—a key component of the university’s strategic plan, Lynn 2025. The initiative called on people who go above and beyond to improve the student experience, from employee services and student life to academics and marketing.
Lynn’s Associate Director of Enrollment Management Taryn Hamill is one of the project leaders. She and her team engage various departments on a daily basis in order to address student needs, concerns and challenges.
"Our faculty and staff are dedicated to student success and want to have access to more information to take their support to the next level," she said. "Navigate will help them more effectively advise with relevant, timely and actionable resources at their fingertips."
Navigate will help faculty more effectively advise with relevant, timely and actionable resources at their fingertips.
Navigate also offers faculty, advisers and administrators a desktop tool with comprehensive information about students. It uses qualitative information from faculty and advisers and smart data to guide students from orientation to graduation, including:
- Deadlines: From attending orientation to preparing for finals, there’s a clear timeline of what tasks students need to complete.
- Choosing a major: It helps students find the right major based on interests and goals.
- Support services: A clear list of campus resources, from academic advising to financial aid, refers students to their designated support network. Students can make appointments, and sync them with their calendar.
- Student Financial Services: Critical reminders help students complete their FAFSA, pay tuition and more. The Holds Center allows students to resolve problems quickly.
- Resources: Navigate assists students in engaging academic, athletic, social and cultural opportunities.
Lynn will launch Navigate in several phases, integrating faculty and advisers into the platform first in March. A student pilot group will test and review the app this spring, and incoming freshmen will register for classes using Navigate this summer. Roll out to all students and support services will begin in fall 2019.
"Every interaction with a student makes an impact, and we all can be champions for success regardless of our role,” said Hamill. “I can’t wait to see how this new opportunity affects the future of Lynn and its most valuable asset—our students."