Lynn University Athletic Director Devin Crosby has invited six NCAA Division I schools to take on the Division II Fighting Knights during the 2017–18 season. Dubbed the South Florida Showdown, the nine-game series will be hosted by Lynn beginning in August.
“Lynn University’s innovative thinking and overall success reflects our culture of spirit, service and strength. Our 23 national championships, agility to host the presidential debate and iPad learning environment is a byproduct of our Lynn mission,” says Crosby. “The South Florida Showdown is a platform for us to compete at the highest level of the NCAA while displaying our university attributes and having fun.”
Game days will be decked out with a sunny Florida tailgate party, adidas giveaways and entertainment. Crosby and Lynn President Kevin M. Ross have also proposed friendly wagers against their peers. For instance, the losing team’s president must pose in the winning team’s jersey for a social media photo.
The South Florida Showdown schedule is as follows:
- Men's Soccer vs. Florida Atlantic University Aug. 16, 2017 at 7 p.m.
- Women's Basketball vs. Florida Atlantic University Nov. 4, 2017 at 2 p.m.
- Men's Basketball vs. Florida Atlantic University Nov. 4, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball vs. University of Houston Nov. 13, 2017 at 7 p.m.
- Men’s Golf vs. Seton Hall University Jan. 28, 2018 at 12:30 p.m.
- Women's Tennis vs. Stetson University Feb. 3, 2018 at 10 a.m.
- Baseball vs. Eastern Michigan University Feb. 20, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
- Men's Tennis vs. Florida Atlantic University Feb. 24, 2018 at 10 a.m.
- Men’s Tennis vs. Georgetown University March 6, 2018 at 3 p.m.
Games are free and open to the public. With the exception of men’s golf, which will be played at nearby Seagate Country Club, the games will take place at Lynn.