Barbara Cambia ’80 has been an active member of the Lynn University community for over 35 years. After graduating from the College of Boca Raton, Cambia held various positions and managed her own public relations firm before returning to Lynn. In 2011, Cambia became the director of corporate relations in the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs and in 2014, she was appointed to her current position as executive director of the Hannifan Center for Career Connections.
Cambia is a transformational leader whose dedication to the community is unsurpassed. She is passionate about growing Lynn’s presence in the region and identifying new partnerships that benefit the institution and its students.
Under Cambia’s leadership, the internship program has increased by 250 percent, now offering approximately 600 opportunities per semester. In addition, freshmen are more engaged in career preparatory exercise than ever before. Since rejoining Lynn, Cambia has established new programs including Life After Athletics, an initiative designed to help student athletes design “a Plan B,” and the Future Leaders of Tomorrow (FLOT) program, sponsored by the Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce. FLOT is a three-week program that introduces Lynn’s high-potential student leaders to Boca Raton’s business and civic communities.
Outside of Lynn, Cambia helped launch Boca Restaurant Month in September 2017, ran her own public relations firm, Public Relations People, Inc., from 2006–2011, and served as the vice president of sales and marketing at Shula’s Hotel and Golf Club in Miami for 10 years.
Cambia’s most memorable professional assignment was at Lynn in 2011, when she directed the fundraising for the final presidential debate between former President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.
- 2012 Junior League of Boca Raton Woman Volunteer of the Year nominee, George Snow Scholarship Fund
- 2013 Chairman’s Award recipient, Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 Junior League of Boca Raton Woman Volunteer of the Year nominee, Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce
- 2018 Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce DIAMOND Award recipient
- Business Development Board of Palm Beach County, committee member of rebranding education
- Palm Beach Tech Education Committee, member
- Women of Tomorrow, Palm Beach County Advisory Board, member
- Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce Tourism Committee, chairwoman
- Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce Leadership Boca Day, planner
- Habilitation Center, president of board
- Lynn University, President’s Advisory Council
- Lynn University, Career Advisory Board
- Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau, public relations agency selection committee member
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Hall of Champions co-chair
B.S., Business Administration, Florida Atlantic University
A.A., Liberal Arts, College of Boca Raton