Frequently asked questions

Show or hide the answer What is financial aid?

Financial aid is any source of money that helps you to pay for your education. Common forms of financial aid include scholarships, grants and loans.

Show or hide the answer What is E-SAS?

E-SAS stands for Electronic Student Aid System. It is your window into your personal finances here at Lynn. It is accessed through the myLynn portal (available to all deposited students). You may also access your E-SAS account directly at

Show or hide the answer How do I receive my financial aid package?

All student financial aid package notifications will be sent via email and can be viewed at

Show or hide the answer Do I have to fill out the FAFSA?
I don't think I qualify for any aid.

Completion of the FAFSA is strictly voluntary, although we do require the FAFSA as a condition of receiving any form of financial aid at Lynn, including scholarships. And we also suggest you give our list of other aid programs a second look. You may be eligible for more than you think. For example, if you're a Florida resident you most likely qualify for a $2,425 yearly grant (that you don't have to repay), no matter what you or your parents make.

Show or hide the answer Do I have to be admitted before completing the FAFSA?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university.

Show or hide the answer What does the new SAT mean?

Will Lynn accept ''old'' SAT scores?
Yes. We accept both the old and new SAT scores.

Is the SAT's optional essay required for admission to Lynn?

Will Lynn use the new SAT's subscore?
We use the SAT composite score.

Does Lynn prefer one type of SAT score over the other?

Show or hide the answer Should I apply for financial aid before I'm admitted?

Yes. The sooner you are able to complete the FAFSA, the better.

Show or hide the answer What does verification mean, and what do I do?
I've been notified that my FAFSA application requires "verification".

This is a routine request that only means you may need to provide us with some additional materials - verification worksheets, tax returns, W-2 forms, Social Security cards, and/or citizenship documents (or some combination of these). Most often those requiring verification will have to fill out and submit to us:

  • A Dependent or Independent Verification Worksheet
  • Your signed tax return and parent tax return(s) if you are a dependent student (Misplaced the requested tax info? Contact the IRS).
  • You should have received a letter from the Department of Education about what you needed to submit. Make sure you complete all required steps. If you still have questions, call us!

More information on completing the FAFSA is available on the U.S. Department of Education Web site.

Show or hide the answer What does COA mean?

COA stands for Cost of Attendance. Your COA is the total cost of direct university charges plus an estimation of what it might cost you for books, transportation and miscellaneous living expenses.

Show or hide the answer What does EFC mean?

EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution. Your EFC is generated upon completion of the FAFSA and represents the amount of money the U.S. Department of Education expects your family to contribute towards your education.

Show or hide the answer What is the difference between need-based and merit-based aid?

Need-based aid is aid that is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. To determine your need, we subtract your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Cost Of Attendance (COA). Merit-based aid is aid that is based on academic performance.

Show or hide the answer What's the difference between "subsidized" and "unsubsidized" loans?

A subsidized loan does not accrue interest while the student is in school. However the interest on an Unsubsidized Loan is the student’s responsibility and begins to accrue once the loan funds are disbursed. The student can opt to allow the interest to accumulate, however it will be added to the principal amount of the loan and increase the amount to be repaid. It is recommended that the student contact the lender to make quarterly payments on the interest.

Show or hide the answer Do I have to fill out the FAFSA every year?
Will I receive the same amount of financial aid every year?

Most financial aid offices require that you do apply for financial aid every year. After your first year you will receive a "Renewal Application" which contains preprinted information from the previous year's FAFSA. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college. Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on your making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

Show or hide the answer Why is the EFC listed on the FAFSA different from my bill?

Your EFC is the amount of money the U.S. Department of Education expects your family to contribute towards your education.  It does not represent what you will be charged on your bill to attend Lynn.

Show or hide the answer Do I need to be a full-time student to receive financial aid?

You do not have to be a full-time student. You are still eligible for federal aid as long as you are half-time or more, however, some aid sources may be pro-rated based on the number of credits you are taking.

Show or hide the answer Can I file as an "Independent"?
My parents will not help me pay for school.

Unless you are able to document special circumstances or answer "yes" to any of questions in Step Three of the FAFSA (#s 48-60), then no, you may not file as independent.

All other students are considered to be Dependent, and the parents' information and signature will be required on the FAFSA. If you believe you have a situation that should be considered individually, ask to speak with a counselor in the Financial Aid Office.

Show or hide the answer I have a sibling at Lynn, will I receive a discount?

Yes, we do offer a Sibling Discount. (See the Costs page for specifics.)

Show or hide the answer If I attend Lynn and maintain a certain GPA can I qualify for some academic money?
I did not qualify for academic money as a freshman because of my GPA.

Yes.  Since we re-determine financial aid eligibility for every student each year, it is possible to become eligible for merit-based awards through increasing your academic performance, even if you did not qualify for such awards your freshman year.

Show or hide the answer What do I do if one of my parents lost their job, and I will need more financial aid?

First, submit the FAFSA.  Then, speak with your respective financial aid counselor.

Show or hide the answer I am an international student, is there financial aid for me?
Can I get a job on campus?

Yes.  Our merit-based awards are offered to any and all students- regardless of citizenship status- who excel academically.  International students may also work on campus provided Lynn's Human Resources office has a student position on file that you are qualified to fill.

Show or hide the answer What financial aid opportunities are offered to Florida residents?

Florida residents may utilize both the Florida Pre-Paid and Florida Bright Futures programs at Lynn.  Additionally, all Florida residents are eligible for the FRAG and some may even be eligible for FWEP- a work study program- and/or FSAG- a grant program.

Show or hide the answer If my parents are separated or divorced, do they both need to submit financial information for my aid application?

No. The parent you have been residing with for the past year and has provided you with your financial support is the parent responsible for completing the FAFSA.

Show or hide the answer What happens if I am awarded an outside scholarship?
Do I have to notify Lynn? Will it affect my financial aid eligibility at the school?

Yes, you must notify Lynn's Office of Student Administrative Services, and yes, it could affect your financial aid eligibility.

Show or hide the answer Is there financial aid offered to transfer, graduate and/or evening students?

Yes - all three groups have access to financial aid.

Show or hide the answer What is a federal PIN and how do I get one?

A Personal Identification Number is your electronic signature.   It is a four digit number used to sign the FAFSA online.  You - and one of your parents if you are dependent - may apply for a PIN while completing the FAFSA itself, or beforehand at

Show or hide the answer Will my financial aid change if I move off campus?

Potentially, yes. You will receive a revised award letter notifying you of the changes, if any.

Show or hide the answer How do I choose a lender?

Please visit to view our preferred lenders.

Show or hide the answer How do I choose a private loan lender?

Please visit to view our preferred private lenders list.

Show or hide the answer My FAFSA was completed about two months ago and I’ve been waiting on my award letter because I need to make a decision. Why haven’t you received it?

The most common reason for us not having received your FAFSA is that we are not listed as a recipient on the application. Please visit, click on “Add or Delete a School Code” and include us on the recipient’s list.

Another common reason why we may not have communicated back to you is that we may have received the FAFSA, but it was rejected due to a missing signature (PIN). The same resolution applies, visit and click on “Sign Electronically With Your PIN”.

Show or hide the answer I am a U.S. citizen, but my parents are not. Can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes. Only the applicant need be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen in order to be eligible for aid. To apply for aid, visit

Show or hide the answer My scholarship is not enough for me. Are there any other sources of aid that I can apply for as an international student?

Because we base our grant eligibility on the FAFSA and you are not eligible to complete the FAFSA as an international student, you will not be eligible for any additional aid from Lynn. Your only option to receive additional aid as an international student is through private loans. You may apply for private loans at

Show or hide the answer I received my award letter, but it only lists my Lynn scholarship. Where is everything else?

We package you with all known sources of financial aid at the time we create your award letter. We may not have received your FAFSA by the time we created your package. As soon as we receive your FAFSA or become aware of any other source of financial aid for you, we will revise your award letter and notify you via email.

Show or hide the answer I’m eligible for Bright Futures. Why isn't it on my award letter?

If you would like to fax your Bright Futures eligibility letter to us, we will revise and resend your award letter. The fax number to Student Administrative Services is 561-237-7189. Even if you are not able to fax your eligibility letter, at some point in the summer we will receive an eligibility roster from the Florida Office of Student Financial Aid, and if your name is on the roster, we will award you Bright Futures.

Show or hide the answer How come my 75% Bright Futures is only listed at about $3,000 on my award letter?

While your Bright Futures Scholarship is advertised as paying a percentage of your tuition, that percentage applies only to public schools. You will receive the exact same amount, dollar-for-dollar, through your Bright Futures Scholarship at Lynn as you would at any school in Florida, but it will not cover the same percentage of the total cost as it would at a public school. For the 2010-2011 academic year, Bright Futures Medallion will pay $94 per credit and Bright Futures Academic will pay $124 per credit. 

Show or hide the answer Thank you so much for the award letter! It says that I have been awarded $46,400 in financial aid! Who can I thank for such generosity?!

We are glad you are so excited to attend Lynn, but please carefully review your award letter for awards entitled either “Direct PLUS” or “EstAltern”. These sources of aid must be applied for and approved in order to be received. They are listed on student award letters as a means of expressing the important fact that financing does exist to help bridge any gap between the cost to attend and the sum of your financial aid package. Applying for either of these sources of aid can be done through

Show or hide the answer My family cannot pay cash, but they may be able to take out a loan. What are our options?

Either your parents may apply for a federal PLUS loan, or you could apply for a private student loan. Both can be found at

Show or hide the answer It looks like I will need about another $20,000 in order to attend Lynn, but my parents cannot take on any more debt. Are there any other options?

First, know that your parents may request deferment of a PLUS so that they are not required to make payments while you are in school. Barring receipt of private/outside scholarships, your award letter already reflects the maximum amount of financial aid that you qualify for. Your parents may, however, finance your annual balance on a monthly payment plan at no interest. The payment plan website is

Show or hide the answer I just received my scholarship letter for $10,000, but I doubt my parents will be able to afford the rest of the tuition. Are there any other scholarships that I can apply for?

As a freshman student, you will not have access to any additional Lynn scholarships. You may, however, qualify for certain need-based grants. The starting point to knowing if you qualify for additional aid is the FAFSA. It can be completed at As soon as we receive it, we will create an award letter and notify you via email.

Show or hide the answer I need a Parent PLUS Loan in order to attend Lynn, but my parents don’t have such great credit. Can they still get approved for a PLUS?

It is entirely possible to be approved for a PLUS even when the applicant does not have a good credit score.  Creditworthiness factors such as FICO score, income-to-debt ratio, loan amount or lack of credit history are ignored.  The Department of Education is only concerned with adverse credit factors such as being 90 or more days delinquent on debt and not subject to any of the following within the last five years: default determination, bankruptcy, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment or write off of Title IV debt.