After you're admitted

Congratulations on your acceptance to Lynn University! We look forward to assisting you as you prepare to leave your country to study in the United States.


Many international students at Lynn University hold an F-1 visa, which gives them permission to live in the United States while studying for their degree. If you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident, you will need to apply for the F-1 visa.

We will provide guidance on the SEVIS 1-20 Form which will be issued through Lynn University’s International Student Services (ISS) office.

What documents do I need to submit for the I-20 form?

International students who need an F-1 visa are required to submit additional documents beyond what is required for admission. The university requirements for documents are guided by U.S. government regulations.

International students need to submit the following documents:

  • Copy of passport biographical page
  • Certification of Finances form: Choose the form below that represents your status as an incoming student. Complete Sections A and D yourself.
  • Bank letter
  • If your government plans to pay for your education and living expenses, an official letter is required.

If your bank is not willing to complete Section III of the Certification of Finances form, include a bank letter (see an example bank letter) in your name or the name of your sponsor (parent, relative or guardian). This letter must confirm the availability of funds listed on the Certification of Finances form in U.S. dollars and must be dated within the last six months.

If your government or an organization plans to pay for your education and living expenses, an official letter is required.

Students who want to transfer to Lynn University

If you are planning on transferring from another institution in the U.S. and you are currently an F-1 student, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • Be a full time student at your present college/university
  • Notify the designated school official (DSO) at your present college/university of your intention to transfer to Lynn
  • Submit the following documents:
    • Copy of your passport biographical page
    • Copy of your F-1 visa page
    • Certification of finance form
    • Bank letter
    • Transfer form

Please note that F-1 students must begin classes within five months of transferring out of their present college/university or within five months of the program completion date, whichever is earlier.

Applying for the F-1 student visa

Once your I-20 form has been issued by Lynn University, you will also be enrolled in the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). For more information about student visas, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

The visa application process includes the following steps:

  1. Make an appointment at your local U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate as soon as possible. Visa processing times vary by embassy or consulate. The Education USA website can help you locate the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate closest to your home.
  2. Complete the DS-160 online visa application and be sure to upload your digital photo. Once you have completed the application, please print the confirmation page.
  3. Pay the SEVIS I-901 form processing fee (payable online) and print your receipt.
  4. Take the DS-160 printed confirmation page and the SEVIS I-901 printed receipt with you to your visa appointment.
  5. Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your uintended date of entry into the U.S.

Student visa criteria

While you're at your embassy or consulate appointment, be prepared to:

  • Verify that you have no intention of abandoning your foreign residence
  • Verify that you are qualified to pursue a full course of study
  • Verify that you plan to enter the U.S. as a student "temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study at Lynn University in the U.S."
  • Present your DS-160 confirmation page
  • Present your SEVIS I-901 fee receipt
  • Present your Lynn University admission letter
  • Present your 1-20 form issued by Lynn University
  • Present sufficient financial evidence of support to cover your educational and living expenses while studying in the U.S.
    • You must show availability of funds, not possession of the funds.
    • Consular Officers can consider currency restrictions in the student's home country
  • Show proficiency in English based on Lynn University admission criteria
  • Demonstrate your intention to depart the U.S. upon completion of the course of study
  • Show sufficient academic credentials to attend Lynn University

After your F-1 visa appointment

  • The consular officer will verify the SEVIS I-20 form and the information in the SEVIS system before issuing the F-1 visa.
  • If your visa is approved, you may be subject to a visa issuance fee based on your nationality.
  • Once your F-1 visa is issued, you will be informed how your passport and visa will be returned.
  • The SEVIS I-20 and financial documents will be placed in a sealed envelope.
  • Please carry your passport and the sealed envelope with you when traveling to the U.S.

After you've arrived at a U.S. port of entry

For initial entry students (new F-1 students), the earliest you are permitted to enter the U.S. is 30 days before the program start date (#5 of your I-20).

  • The I-94 entrance and exit system has been automated; paper will no longer be used.
  • Upon arrival to the U.S. you will present your passport and sealed envelope to the customs border protection officer.
  • The officer will verify the student information in the SEVIS database system.
  • You will be admitted as F-1 Duration of status (D/S)

A Look at Lynn's International Students

Secure your spot

Once you've been accepted to Lynn, submit your deposit to reserve your space in the upcoming term.

Deposit now

View our chat archives

Our guest panelists hosted a total of five chats about the upcoming academic year. From financial aid experts to parents of Lynn students, the housing and residence team, current students and more.

Check out our archives.

Contact Admission

  • Toll free
  • Telephone
  • Fax
  • E-mail
  • Office hours
    Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–6 p.m.

Social media