Sindee Kerker began teaching at Lynn University in 1999. For the past seven years, Kerker has been co-chair of the Alcohol and Substance Abuse Committee and has helped to organize many activities on campus designed to educate students about the dangers and risks associated with drinking and other drugs.
Teaching at Lynn has also given Kerker the opportunity to be innovative by developing academic study programs abroad and domestically. In summer 2007 Kerker took students to Ireland to study violence and social change by contrasting law enforcement in the Republic of Ireland with Northern Ireland. She also designed a once-in-a-lifetime course by taking students to the 44th Presidential Inauguration in Washington, D.C., so they could be a witness to history.
Sindee Kerker’s teaching specialties are in the area of criminal law and procedure. She uses her legal background to bring a practical approach to the classroom. She has used complex cases as an interactive pedagological tool to help create an active learning environment. In CRJ 402 “Ethics, Evidence and Law,” students examine the legal, evidentiary and ethical issues involved in the 1994 O.J. Simpson case by exploring the roles of the prosecutor, defense attorney, judge, law enforcement agents, witnesses, jury and the media. Students evaluate trial strategy and analyze the implications of critical decisions and their impact on the criminal justice system. In CRJ 401 “Trial Advocacy,” students examine the structure and process of the American Judiciary System by participating in a mock jury trial.
- B.A., University of Florida
- Certificate Program, Oxford University, United Kingdom
- J.D., Whittier College of Law
- Criminal law and procedure
- Constitutional law
- American judiciary
- Juvenile justice and court system
- Trial advocacy
- Gender and crime
- Crime and punishment
Areas of Scholarship and Professional Practice
- Bar Admissions: United States Supreme Court, Florida, and California
- Prosecutor in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office
- Lynn University Faculty of the Year 2006-2007
- Honored and featured in Boca Raton/Delray Life magazine as Magnificent Mom and Teacher of the Year, May 2006
- Prosecutor of the Month, Los Angeles County, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office (chosen out of 900+ prosecutors after winning four consecutive cases dealing with child and adult sexual assault and physical abuse cases), October 1992
- Prosecutor of the Month, Compton Division, Los Angeles District Attorney’s office (chosen out of 50+ attorneys, July 1993