Dr. Downey began teaching at Lynn in 1994 as an Associate Professor in the former School of Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation Management. Prior to that, his educational positions include Department Chairman of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management at Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and he served as Dean of the School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Administration at the University of New Haven, in New Haven, Connecticut. He also served as the Associate Dean in the College of Hospitality Management from 2002 until 2009 at Lynn.
His hospitality industry background includes the following positions:
- Leisure Time Industry Associate, Laventhol & Horwath, Certified Public Accountants, Boston, Massachusetts;
- Vice President of Development, Commonwealth Hospitality Management Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
- Senior Business Consultant, IBM Food Service Consulting Consortium, Raleigh, North Carolina; and
- President, Keystone Associates, Boynton Beach, FL, Management Consultants for the Hospitality Industry.
- B.S., Pennsylvania State University
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Ph.D., Purdue University
- Accounting for Financial Reporting
- Accounting for Management Decision Making
- Hospitality Management
- Event Management
- Special Topics in Hospitality
- Special Topics in Event Management
Areas of Scholarship and Professional Practice
Dr. Downey continually writes and publishes juried research papers on hospitality business and management subjects including
- cooperative education
- teaching strategies
- case studies
- hospitality facility planning.
- Appointed President of the Florida/Caribbean chapter of the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education, July 2008
- Selected as Lynn University’s Outstanding Teacher of the Year, May 1999