Craig Schmantowsky’s hospitality experience includes Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club, the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach and the Boca Raton Resort & Club. Schmantowsky has traveled around the United States to compete in American Culinary Federation Competitions, winning several awards both as a professional and as a student competitor.
- A.S., Johnson & Wales University
- B.S., Florida International University
- M.S., Florida International University
Craig Schmantowsky's role as a professional educator is to motivate, inspire and direct students to sources of information. He believes that students must be challenged in such a way that it enhances the learning experience. They must be well-rounded individuals and have the ability to think on their feet and be able to find an answer when needed. Schmantowsky therefore believes that learning should be enhanced with as much “real life” experience as possible so as to support those things that they learn in books. Since all students do not learn in the same way, it is important to tap into different learning styles of individual students to help them reach their potential.
Schmantowsky's ability to successfully accomplish this comes from his passion for both teaching and learning. He loves to be in the classroom, and he loves the course material – and it shows. Sometimes he even surprises himself by how excited he gets. His students have enjoyed and appreciated his knowledge and energy in the classroom, as he has enjoyed the unique teacher-student dynamic of each of his classes. He looks forward to bringing his passion for learning into the classroom and sharing it with his students each semester. He hopes to instill within them some of the joys of learning he has come to experience in his journey as a student and as a human being.
Areas of Scholarship and Professional Practice
- Hotel and foodservice management
- Culinary arts
- Baking and pastry arts
- Member of the Florida Restaurant Association
- Member of the American Culinary Federation
- Professional Chefs Association Junior Member of the Year Award
- Received two gold, two silver and two bronze medals in American Culinary Federation competitions
- Awarded second place in the Florida Citrus Dessert Classic
- Received the CHRIE Award for Apprenti Cuisinier