Formally titled the Dialogues of Innovation, but more commonly known as the January Term, or J-Term, this mini-term is all about creative learning through special projects, study abroad and internships.
The Dialogues of Innovation is a specially designed educational component that provides intensive and innovative learning experiences outside the traditional academic setting. The goal of the Dialogues of Innovation is to provide students with exciting experiences that expand and deepen their understanding of their major, or another field that interests them.
During the four undergraduate years, students will successfully complete one course in each January Term that will focus on innovative ideas, topics and experiential learning opportunities. The J-Term curriculum consists of a variety of interdisciplinary offerings and also includes opportunities for internships, workshops and other forms of experiential learning.
Students have had the opportunity, during the J-Term, to take such imaginative classes as:
- performing an off-Broadway production in New York City.
- studying and attending the presidential inauguration in Washington, D.C..
- interning with the ESPN X Games in Aspen.
- learning how to start a business on a shoestring budget.
- studying the connections between humans and the Atlantic ocean.
- discovering what it’s really like to be a teacher in the school system.